Matthew Perry sat down with Diane Sawyer on Friday to debate his upcoming memoir Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing. In the 250p-page e book, he reveals simply how dangerous his battle with habit was, what number of occasions he’s needed to have surgical procedure on account of it and the way his Friends expertise was formed by it.
During the hour-long interview on ABC, Perry elaborated on his drug abuse, how he needs to calm down and have a household, and what folks can search for in the event that they need to see if he’s not doing effectively once more.
Teaser clips from Perry’s interview with Sawyer had been launched within the week main as much as it and have been making the rounds on-line. Ahead of the memoir hitting cabinets, a couple of issues have been revealed: Jennifer Aniston was one in all his most supportive Friends co-stars; the true cause he broke up with Julia Roberts; and the way viewers can monitor which medication he was utilizing all through the favored NBC sitcom.
Perry additionally got here ahead and apologized for asking why Keanu Reeves “still walks among us.” “I’m actually a big fan of Keanu,” he stated in a press release. “I just chose a random name, my mistake. I apologize. I should have used my own name instead.”
Here are six extra revelations from the interview:
- Viewers can inform which medication Perry was on over the course of the Friends sequence: “When I’m carrying weight, it’s alcohol. When I’m skinny, it’s pills.”
- Perry has been to six,000 Alcoholics Anonymous conferences, in remedy for 30 years, attended 15 rehabs, spent half his life in therapy or residing homes and detoxed 65 occasions.
- He requested Aniston out on a date earlier than they starred alongside one another in Friends, and he or she advised him she simply wished to be associates.
- Perry had his first drink when he was 14 and remembers feeling like he was “in heaven.” By the time he was 18, he was ingesting day-after-day.
- He advised the creators of Friends that he had quite a lot of bother with ladies and anxiousness, which made its means into the script as a part of Chandler’s appeal.
- He remembers his first capsule, as crystal clear as he remembers his first drink. He had a jetski harm and was given drugs for the ache. It was like “warm honey entering my veins.” His habit to drugs received so extreme, he would go to open homes simply to get medication out of strangers’ medication cupboards.
- When requested how folks will know he’s not doing effectively once more, Perry responded: “If I say I’m just gonna chill alone at home tonight. And part two, if I ever say I’m cured.”
Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing shall be launched on Nov. 1.